Pimplomat

 
Links
These sites usually talk about other things besides music These sites mainly talk about music
Why Don't You Like Shakespeare?
Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Yesterday, Reuters ran a story about "intellidating" in London. For many singles in that city (and I'm guessing several other cities worldwide), clubbing, dinners, and movies are not cutting it anymore for date choices. According to the article, "Debates and poetry readings are fast becoming London's most romantic nights out." People are becoming more serious in their wooing.

Some guys are attracted to Playboy-esqe blondes or sporty girls or corporate suit-wearing professional women. If you're attracted to a certain type, then good, you know what you want. For me, smart girls are attractive, and I usually only date girls that value intelligence. I don't immediately avoid a date if I know a girl is not smart; however, over time the ones I end up with in long-term relationships are the ones that either equal my intelligence or are slightly above my brain power.

However, there seems to be a bit of coldness in the smart crowd, and I'm not sure why. I don't understand the shift to more brain and less heart. Maybe I'm an idealist (actually, I am an idealist), but I believe there should be a balance. That's probably why I hang out with a variety of people.

Sure, some of my friends don't know the difference between "they're," "their," or "there," or they're unable to debate the merits of Eliot's poetry, but what they lack in intelligence they make up for in heart. They're the first to call you when you're down; they're the first to make you dinner; they're the first to tell you when you're the one acting stupid. (Yes, I know very well there are exceptions in all of this; intelligent people can cook dinner, too.)

But ultimately, I find myself wooed by smarts. I like dating people who appreciate going to poetry readings, the symphony, the museum, etc. Then after all of that, let's hit the bars and talk about what we just heard or saw. However, this type of balanced person is difficult to find. But when you do find one, it's like being given a reprieve from a death sentence.
posted by pimplomat @ 10:10 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Rachel said…

    I'm with you pimplomat -- this type of person is hard to find, and if stumbled up is usually married.

     
  • At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't even think it's about being the most intelligent; knowing how not to be a dumbass goes a long way.

    Your ability to disect a poet's work isn't the only test of intelligence. Your argument comes close to dismissing anyone that isn't smart in the same way that you are. I really hope you didn't mean it that way and I'm probably reading too much into it. I will give you this: smart is sexy. ;)

     
  • At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Andrea Grimes said…

    ditto, or whatever.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Pimplomat pimplomat
Home: Texas Dallas, TX
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Other Things

Personal Blog Top Sites


Blog Flux Directory