Pimplomat

 
Links
These sites usually talk about other things besides music These sites mainly talk about music
Favorite band
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
The other night, my housemate and I were talking about how we discovered our now favorite bands.

So, since I have nothing else to write about today, I'll tell you how the Cure became my all-time favorite band.

It was 1987, and I was a freshman in high school. KEGL-FM used to play "alternative" music back then, and it was playing "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure. However, I didn't know it was the Cure, because like most stations, the DJs rarely tell you who you're listening to after the song is played (DJs, why do you do this crap?). I kept thinking it was Modern English, until one morning the DJ finally said it was the Cure. I remember buying the 7-inch single somewhere after this and really enjoying the b-side, "Breathe."

Well, my grandparents gave me $10 for something (probably mowing the lawn), and we went to the mall. I quickly made my way to Camelot Music to buy Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me on cassette tape. To my teenage horror, I discovered the tape cost $14. It was a "double album," so the store increased the price, because, you know, cassette tape costs a lot of money.

I didn't want the $10 to go to waste, so I ending up buying Standing on the Beach. I remember some girls in 8th grade talking about this album, and thinking, "If 'Just Like Heaven' is good, then the songs on their greastest hits album must be good, too." I bought the tape, and listened to it on the way home. Once those first notes of "Killing an Arab" started, I knew right then and there that the Cars would no longer be my favorite band. I decided to own each album from where these hits came. It's been a love affair ever since.

And that's my story. Feel free to add your own story about how you discovered your favorite band on your blog/live journal. This will especially work for those that don't know what to write about or update much (I'm looking at you C&N).

Countdown to party: 2 days.
posted by pimplomat @ 1:21 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Pimplomat pimplomat
Home: Texas Dallas, TX
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Other Things

Personal Blog Top Sites


Blog Flux Directory