Pimplomat

 
Links
These sites usually talk about other things besides music These sites mainly talk about music
I feel dirty just writing this
Friday, June 30, 2006
Last night, I attended the W Dallas - Victory grand opening party with my co-worker.

The W is a new, swank hotel in Dallas that strives for all the glitz and glam of west coast chic. I'd have to say it pulls it off pretty well. Or maybe it was just all the pretty people gathered in one hotel emanating their pretty energy on to every thing. Either way, the evening was fun. And I ain't just talking about the free booze and food.

Speaking of food, my co-worker and I had a sample meal at the hotel's restaurant, Craft. Now, I hear that this is a great place for food. Maybe for vegetables it is, but we found the sirloin a little too hand-and-hand with the garlic and the beef short ribs coming up short in taste. After washing out our grease-filled mouths with as much free Voss water as possible, we were rewarded with the most delicious part of the evening: warm beignets with chocolate dipping sauce.

Ok, I'm going to stop sounding like Daily Candy here and get on with what you really want to read about: celebrity spotting.

Most of the celebrities that we saw were local, and really, it was quite underwhelming. Here's the list though: Scott Murray, Desagana Diop, Rolando Blackman, Don Nelson, Ron Kirk, Blair Potter, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Ross Perot Jr. Your usual cast of Dallas Observer and D Magazine characters were there, too.

This was the most exciting part of the hotel:


I didn't need any LSD to be totally mesmerized by this light display.

At the top of the hotel is Ghostbar, which has an outdoor patio that kind of overlooks downtown Dallas. Mainly though, you're looking at a highway. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a nice highway, what with all that concrete and those orange-looking lights and those cars driving on it. I mean, damn, what a fine looking highway!

To the drinkers out there: I'm not sure if it was just last night or if it will be like this always, but the bartenders at Ghostbar were not free pouring; they were actually measuring out the amount of alcohol in my vodka & soda. However, the W's Living Room bar downstairs free poured all night, and my liver thanks you today.

One last thing about the hotel: the pool. I'm thinking not too many people will be swimming in it because it's about the size of four bathtubs. Okay, maybe five if you place them end to end. There's more room for people to lay out than there is to swim. But like most upper crust places in Dallas, the W's pool area is more about style over substance.

W Dallas - Victory has three years to entertain and pamper the jet set crowd and the born-into-money clientele before the cosmopolitan Mandarin Oriental Hotel opens right next door. You know, Dallas really can't have enough luxury hotels with sexy highway views.

Song of the Day
"Another Year" by Hotel Lights
posted by pimplomat @ 8:45 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At Friday, 30 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blair isn't famous! Nice that you tried to sneak him into the lineup though.

    Cari

     
  • At Friday, 30 June, 2006, Blogger swirly girl said…

    Can I just say that I love that you wrote, "sexy highway views"? I don't know why it put me into a grinning fit, but it did.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Pimplomat pimplomat
Home: Texas Dallas, TX
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Other Things

Personal Blog Top Sites


Blog Flux Directory