Pimplomat

 
Links
These sites usually talk about other things besides music These sites mainly talk about music
It's not an issue of style over substance
Friday, June 23, 2006
One of my favorite things about the recent Man Man show was that they looked like a band on stage. I love when bands put some thought into how they will present themselves to the public while performing. Nothing turns me off more than a band that has every member dressing differently (unless of course it's animal costumes). It just reeks of laziness and unprofessionalism in my opinion.

In the case of Man Man, they all wore white. No, they didn't wear the same excact outfits, but they did all wear some version of white (e.g., t-shirt, button-down shirt, etc.). To me, it showed unity in their objective to entertain the audience.

Eric and I recently had a debate about looking like a band on stage. From my recollection (and he can correct me if I'm incorrect), he believes that band members should dress how they want to on stage with no preconceived objective. I, however, have no problem with preconceived objectives.

Take the Beatles for instance; they all dressed the same on stage. Even before their suit-and-tie days, they all wore leather jackets. They looked like a band. They looked like a unit. They looked like a group of people sharing a common interest.

Let me back up here for bit and state that I don't agree with manatory school dress codes or for all of society to have to wear the same things. What I'm expressing is that bands are ultimately entertainers, and when they're out entertaining, dressing up for the part makes them look a whole lot more professional to me.

Eric said on the same day we had our debate that he was a musician and not an entertainer. I disagree; one can be both at the same time. Once a musician steps out of the practice space and performs in front an audience, he or she is now considered an entertainer.

And the entertaining part of a live show is one of my favorite things about music. I think back to some of the best shows I've ever witnessed (Les Savy Fav, the Faint), and they're the best because they visually stimulated me. The music was great, and the live show was the icing on the cake. And one common thing these bands had? You guessed it, they looked like a band on stage. Whether it was indie-chic tight t-shirts/white belt or all gothic-black they looked like musical gangs ready to conquer the audience.

Song of the Day
posted by pimplomat @ 1:50 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At Friday, 23 June, 2006, Blogger Eric Grubbs said…

    In my defense, I don't like to see bands who look like they just woke up, put some clothes on and played a show. However, on the other end, I don't enjoy seeing people wear the same clothes (especially the same color) all the time.

    I argue that musicians can entertain, but there are plenty of musicians who are more entertainers than musicians. I'm not an entertainer who assumes this guise and tries to put on amateur theater. My emphasis is always the music. Whether or not I'm an entertainer by playing in front of people, I know I'll never look cool. I don't attempt to impress anyone, so that's why I recoil at the thought of a band member (or members) pushing me into an area/mindset that I don't want to be in.

    Ultimately for me, the movement and the chemistry between the band members are what make the show. My favorite shows of all time (The Promise Ring, Fugazi) had a lot of movement and I didn't care about what they were wearing. However, I've seen plenty of shows where the band just stood there, looked like they threw on some clothes and overall, played a boring show.

     
  • At Friday, 23 June, 2006, Blogger scruffylooking said…

    I agree with Eric that it's more about the show and the music than their outward presentation. Honestly, if the music is good, I don't really notice what anyone's wearing.

     
  • At Saturday, 24 June, 2006, Blogger swirly girl said…

    I told you so...

    You're being too critical.

     
  • At Sunday, 25 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eric,

    another way to look at it is that the entertainment factor of a performance can be a different creative challenge.

    being uncomfortable with trying to look cool shouldn't be the reason. that sounds more like a simple insecurity.

    i'm sure the first time you got on stage to play music, you felt uncomfortable, no matter what you may have been wearing. once you did it a few times, you probably became more comfortable and less insecure about it...

    i've seen many great musicians who's appearance and form of expressing their energy could have used a major overhaul.

    so, once you get the music making part on lock down, why not put some creative energy into presentation and appearance?? you might end up having fun with it.

     
  • At Sunday, 25 June, 2006, Blogger Eric Grubbs said…

    being uncomfortable with trying to look cool shouldn't be the reason. that sounds more like a simple insecurity.

    I've never tried to look cool to others. I've never been cool; I'll always be uncool.

    i'm sure the first time you got on stage to play music, you felt uncomfortable, no matter what you may have been wearing. once you did it a few times, you probably became more comfortable and less insecure about it...

    Honestly, the first time I played drums in front of people, my main concern was making sure we didn't screw up the songs. We kinda screwed up the song ("Drain You" by Nirvana) but covered it up kinda well.

    Even now with Ashburne Glen, no matter how many times we practice, things go haywire live. Instead of pitching a fit, we roll with the "mistakes." Sure, Jason may forget a lyric or two, I may drop a beat or two, Lance may play a bum note and Joshua may go into a chorus too soon, but that's not the end of the world. That said, I'm always thinking about trying to improve my parts. These "experiments" happen even in a live setting.

    so, once you get the music making part on lock down, why not put some creative energy into presentation and appearance?? you might end up having fun with it.

    The "music making part" is always being worked on. I doubt I could ever have fun thinking about a surface/looking-glass-self matter.

     
  • At Wednesday, 12 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with Eric on this one. Music over facade any day.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Pimplomat pimplomat
Home: Texas Dallas, TX
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Other Things

Personal Blog Top Sites


Blog Flux Directory