Pimplomat

 
Links
These sites usually talk about other things besides music These sites mainly talk about music
Warning: Rambling may occur
Friday, April 14, 2006
The other day, WeShotJR titled one of their Myspace bulletins "music is so much more fun to talk about than to listen to."

I believe they were joking (right guys?). Still, it reminded me of a conversation Eric and I had the other night, which I will now script for you.

EXT.
The dirt road is empty. A saloon, a hotel, and a sheriff's office sandwich it. A light breeze stirs up the road dust, and a couple of horses are tied up at a post and drinking water. A man is walking down the road and enters the saloon.

INT.
A man with a short haircut and a black vest on is playing cards at a table. A whiskey glass sits on the table. He looks up at the man who has just walked into the saloon.


1st Man: So, you still read my blog? Man pushes aside swinging doors and walks toward the man at the table. You can hear the spurs as he walks. He is wearing assless chaps.
2nd Man: Yeah, I look at it every day.
1st Man: Yeah. Cool. You ever listen to the songs I put on it?
2nd Man: No.

(pause)

2nd Man: I mean, you only skim my blog. He starts to finger the gun on his belt.
1st Man: Yeah, but all you have to do is click on the song and listen to it.
2nd Man: That's not good enough for me. I want to know why you like the song, why you put it up there, what it means to you. Music swells.
1st Man: Dude, just listen to the songs. If you want to know why I put them up there, ask me and I'll tell you.
2nd Man: Nah.

Just then, they hear a shriek and run outside.

1st Man: What the fuck...
2nd Man: is Godzilla doing here?

Scene ends.

I'm sure cave people didn't sit around and talk about music before they invented it. Probably it was more like, "Hey Gwanntux (that's a real cave person name, by the way), listen to this....if I hit this stone against this other stone and this stick against this log, I can recreate the opening drum part to 'Hot for Teacher'."

What I'm driving at is that music is predominantly an aural experience and should always be approached that way. People can talk all day about how great or bad a song is or what a song means to them, but it means nothing to me if I haven't experience it via my ears.

In the end, I don't care if you listen to these songs I link on here. I'm just putting them up because I like them. If you want to know why I like them, ask me out on a date and I'll tell you. Otherwise, just sit back, listen and enjoy the songs.

Poem of the Day for National Poetry Month
"The Reckoning"
by Theodore Roethke

All profits disappear: the gain
Of ease, the hoarded, secret sum;
And now grim digits of old pain
Return to litter up our home.

We hunt the cause of ruin, add,
Subtract, and put ourselves in pawn;
For all our scratching on the pad,
We cannot trace the error down.

What we are seeking is a fare
One way, a chance to be secure:
The lack that keeps us what we are,
The penny that usurps the poor.

Song of the Day
"When the Angels Play Their Drum Machines" by Hefner
posted by pimplomat @ 10:45 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At Friday, 14 April, 2006, Blogger Eric Grubbs said…

    I love listening to music. I love talking about music. I can only express how music makes me feel, and I'm very well aware that people aren't going to have the same experience. I've been at the receiving end of one-too-many conversations involving somebody trying to convince me that I should like a certain song. I'm a hard-headed person that has a hard time deciding what I should listen to when people upload MP3s on their blogs. I stay with the familiar and am cautious about treading too far away from it.

     
  • At Friday, 14 April, 2006, Blogger mochila said…

    i love talking about assless chaps.

     
  • At Friday, 14 April, 2006, Blogger stonedranger said…

    yes. Joke.

     
  • At Friday, 14 April, 2006, Blogger Long_Division said…

    That "writing about music is like dancing about architecture" quotation is attributed to too many people on google (including Costello and Zappa) to properly trace. But I think it's apt.

    Reading about assless chaps -- now that's a religious experience.

     
  • At Saturday, 15 April, 2006, Blogger Long_Division said…

    Drunk comment alert. I got the Metrocard with one day of use left!!! Yeah!!! I went to faraway places. I saw a woman with rabbit ears scolding a child with chicken pox. For serious. HAPPY EASTER, YOU CRAZY PUFFIN!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Pimplomat pimplomat
Home: Texas Dallas, TX
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Other Things

Personal Blog Top Sites


Blog Flux Directory