Pimplomat

 
Links
These sites usually talk about other things besides music These sites mainly talk about music
Satin Hooks
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
I received my first email from a band asking how to get a mention on my blog. Like I said before, I'm not going to pretend to be a MP3 music blog. If a band or artist catches my attention, then I'll write about them. Still, any bands that want to send me links or MP3s, feel free. You know where to reach me (it says Email!).



SATIN HOOKS is the aforementioned band. And yes, they're good enough to warrant some attention. Houston's Free Press named them "Best Rock Band." I'm not that familiar with the Houston rock scene, but I'm sure they're better then The Hunger.

"SATIN HOOKS deliver urgent punk rock futurism; catchy melodies; awkward rhythms that are danceable and propulsive," according to the Ernie Ball Battle of the Bands 10 Web site. "Lyrics are that which spewed up out of the ground from a ruptured main that was once a dream. Live shows are songs tied together by sheets of sound, preachers speaking backward and spiking sine waves unfolding into moments of bliss and instantaneous orchestrations."

From that description, I'd guess they were a Denton band. Oh burn!

Ok, in all seriousness, from the few songs I've heard SATIN HOOKS offer nothing satiny; it's more coarse like wool shirts or pin-prickly pants. They're noisy; they do have those angular rhythms that are popular with the kids nowadays; and they do have beats you can dance to. More important, though, they have melody and energy. I've always been a sucker for a band that uses the bass as the key melody-driver in songs (e.g., Joy Division, the Smiths, the Cure, etc.). SATIN HOOKS sound nothing like those bands, by the way, but they do use the bass as more than a support for beefing up guitar chords. Their pretty much straight-ahead rock sound is quite refreshing to hear, what with all the banjo-driven, ambient Eno knock-offs and one-chord only songs dominating the Blogwaves these days.

Recommended if you like Bleach-era Nirvana and Sonic Youth.

I bet their live show is great. Now, if only they'd play Dallas.

Song of the Day
Go listen to SATIN HOOKS
posted by pimplomat @ 1:44 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At Tuesday, 06 June, 2006, Blogger Eric Grubbs said…

    I can name plenty of Houston bands that are better than The Hunger.

     
  • At Thursday, 10 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It can be said that they're WAY, WAY, WAY better than the Hunger or that shitty Blue October. My God, there aren't that many bands this good anywhere. Seen them live a few times myself. Pretty intense shit! I think they've got a weird instrumental performance on YouTube... it's linked in my name.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Pimplomat pimplomat
Home: Texas Dallas, TX
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Other Things

Personal Blog Top Sites


Blog Flux Directory